Even before the first committee meeting for the men's Michigan Club, a group of women students, alumni and faculty wives formed the Women's League organization for the promotion of social interaction among university and community women in 1890. Historical overview in pictures.
Other historic milestones have included:
- In 1921, the University Alumnae Council began to lead a campaign to raise funds for a building that would become a center for women's social, cultural and recreational activities on campus.
- One million dollars was raised and in May 1929 the Michigan League was officially opened.
- The University Alumnae Council managed the Michigan League up until 1930.
- Due to the Great Depression during the 30s, the League was turned over to the Board of Regents.
- A Board of Governors, composed of alumnae, students, faculty and university staff was created to oversee the League.
- The growing activism and souring economy in the 60's and 70's eliminated many traditional activities from the League.
- The Michigan League then became a place to hold seminars, conferences, and receptions, serving the University as well as the community.
- In 1992, the Michigan League became one of the three University Unions, along with the Michigan Union and Pierpont Commons, under the Division of Student Affairs.
- With this move, the League is once again playing an important role in student life on campus. In fact, the League Underground was voted the best place to catch a cheap, live show by the Michigan Daily.
- In 1996 a volunteer organization, called Friends of the League, was formed to help support the mission of the Michigan League. Today the Michigan League has banquet and meeting rooms, a catering service, a gift shop, an inn and dining facilities, and hosts a variety of student programs and services.