What a Year!
We are University Unions!
We made Connections.
Prepared for Tomorrow.
By the Numbers
- 4,866 Guest Room Nights - The Inn at the League
- $23,000 Awarded in Student Employee Scholarships - Michigan League Board of Governors, Michigan Union Board of Representatives
- 49,861 Interactions - Campus Information Centers
- 72 Events and 25,000 Attendees - University Activities Center, Center for Campus Involvement
- 2,598 Student Leaders Trained - Center for Campus Involvement
- 11,750 UMIX Attendees - Center of Campus Involvement
- 70% Increase in Meeting/Event Bookings - Pierpont Commons
- 7,800 Meetings/Events - Michigan Union
- 30% Increase in Wedding and Social Event Bookings - Conference & Event Services
- 28,000 Balloons Inflated and Delivered - Student Organization Resource Center
- 90 Union Renovation Meetings with Architects and Stakeholders - Michigan Union
- $85.2 Million committed for Union Renovation - University of Michigan Board of Regents
- 170,684 Tickets Sold - Michigan Union Ticket Office
- President’s Leadership Breakfast, Rogel Ballroom, Michigan Union
- Regents approve Michigan Union Renovation
- Go Blue Mix on The Diag draws 2000 Participants
- Fireside Roast Opens, Pierpont Commons
- Rotary World Peace Conference, Michigan League Ballroom
- Tim Kaine’s speech, Central Campus Diag (Photo: Claire Abdo/Michigan Daily)
- Faculty Women’s Club Artwork Dedication, Michigan League
- Community of Cultures, Pierpont Commons
- Commencement Brunch, Pierpont Commons, Michigan Union
- Increase student awareness of U Unions.
- Boost participation in UU events
- Increase use of UU resources.
- Make a personal connection with the campus community.
- Be authentic and relatable.
- Stand out in a crowd.
These were the goals of the 2016-18 University Unions marketing campaign as defined by our Student Marketing Advisory Committee. The result was a marketing campaign that relies on hand-written text and oodles of hand-drawn doodles that invite students to “Make Your Mark” at the Unions.
The highlight of the multi-media campaign – created, designed and produced entirely by student designers, videographers and marketers – may well be the “M-oji” sticker packs that were released in November 2016 which have been downloaded 3,329 times!
You can download a free set of M-ojis each month from the Michigan app. Look for Jim Harbaugh’s khakis, the blue bus, basketballs, squirrels and all manner of campus lore.
Michigan Union Renovation
“One of our challenges with a building that’s going to be 100 years old in 2019 is that it was built in a time that really didn’t need to take (physical disabilities) into consideration. And…we’re going to be able to better address those needs and make a more inclusive community.
- Susan Pile, Senior Director, University Unions & Auxiliary Services
The Regents approved the Michigan Union renovation project in March 2017, but this was preceded by hard work, plenty of discussion, planning and thinking by students and stakeholders alike.
Working groups consisting of students and staff were formed to plan for campus life while the Union is closed for renovation.
Approximately 90 meetings were conducted with architects and the departments that will need to relocate during the renovation.
Students were actively involved in advocacy with Regents, the community and classmates and in many aspects of design development.
In collaboration with the student group, Build a Better Michigan, visits were made to Bowling Green State University, Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, SPARK (Ann Arbor), and University of Maryland College Park to observe their student unions, student organization resources and recreational sports facilities.
Learn more about the Michigan Union Renovation.
Quotable and Notable:
“Having our reception at the Michigan League Ballroom and the ceremony at the Michigan League Hussey [Room] was the most romantic venue…”
– Grace Keeney and Toby Bonthrone
Married September 10, 2016
Regents Approve Design for Extensive Michigan Union Renovation, The University Record, March 16, 2017
"For almost 100 years the union has been the place that the university family gathers to celebrate, collaborate, remember and create what is truly special about Michigan."
– E. Royster Harper, Vice President, Student Life
When Vice Presidential candidate Tim Kaine visited U-M, his speech on the Central Campus Diag required coordination between the Center for Campus Involvement, the Secret Service and a number of U-M stakeholders.
September 13, 2016
Students sit in at the Michigan Union to protest campus climate following racist emails
The Michigan Daily, February 9, 2017 (Sit-In photo taken by Jeremy Mitnick/Michigan Daily)
“’I just think this event is powerful and important. It’s my hope that real and lasting tangible change comes from this.”
– David Schafer, President, Central Student Government
“To walk through the Michigan Union on any given day is to see the University Community in full throttle.”
– Jennifer Conlin ’83, Our Living Room Lives On, Michigan Alumnus Magazine, March 31, 2017
“The lobby of this 1929 building is the star, with finishes of polished slate, Detroit-made Pewabic tiles and oak-and-walnut paneling as well as a large stained-glass window in the stairwell.”
– Rebecca Powers, RebeccaPowers.com, The Washington Post, May 11, 2017
Pierpont Commons hosts the first North Campus Commencement Brunch at Fireside Café, Saturday, April 29, 2017
Campus Information launches a new website featuring an interactive campus map.
Awards, Honors & Memorials
Wedding Venue Recognition
Reception Venues, Michigan League, The Knot Best of Weddings
Outdoor Weddings Award, Michigan League, The Wedding Spot
Reception Venues, Michigan Unions, The Knot Best of Weddings
University Unions Marketing, M-oji Sticker Pack, 2nd place in the Promotions Category, ACUI National Steal This Idea Competition
Memorial bench in the League garden for Ruth Robin Boothby (BS ’48), given by her husband, William Boothby (AB ’41, MA ’42, PhD ’49)
The Unions are involved and committed to Sustainability efforts in its buildings and around campus. Here are a few highlights:
- The Unions partnered with M|Dining on many zero-waste events such as the Convocation Picnic, Finals Survival Breakfast, UMix late night and MStaff200.
- Campus Information Centers partnered with Planet Blue to distribute reusable water bottles from the information desks.
- The Student Organization Resource Center is working with Planet Blue to reuse diag board posters.
- The Inn at the League recycles soap and plastic shampoo bottles through Clean the World.
- The University Activities Center is digitizing records and recycling materials from past events.
- Composting was launched at Beanster’s (Michigan League), and at Fireside and U-Go’s (Pierpont Commons).
Campus Initiative: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
University Unions provides a safe and welcoming environment for all individuals through our programming, physical spaces, staff representation and commitment to social justice.
- The Center for Campus Involvement developed a DEI toolkit for the university’s 1400+ student organizations.
- Multiple events, planning sessions and student dialogue with a DEI lens were sponsored by the Center for Campus Involvement; partnerships with other Student Life units were formed.
- Three major DEI events were held in Unions facilities: The President’s Diversity Breakfast, the DEI Student Advisory Group Discussion with Allison Manswell, and King’s Feast.
- Campus Information Centers partnered with Michigan Radio to develop a Happening@Michigan user guide and training presentation for the DEI Leader group as a way to better advertise DEI initiatives to the campus community.
Welcome to University Unions Video
Bicentennial Events and Celebrations
Happy 200th Birthday, University of Michigan!
The Unions have always played a significant role in campus history. This was especially true in the celebration of Michigan’s Bicentennial.
- The Center for Campus Involvement led the planning for the Community of Cultures Festival, an intersection of culture, art and social advocacy. The event was held at Pierpont Commons and the Duderstadt Center.
- Tours of the Michigan Union and Michigan League were provided as part of the Bicentennial events.
- As part of a series of pop-up are installations aimed at understanding U-M’s past, “Stumbling Blocks” included the Union's inception as a space for university men.
- The Union and the League were featured in an exhibit at the U-M Museum of Art entitled “Constructing Gender: The Origins of Michigan’s Union and League”.
- Conference & Event Services supported Michigan Dining with the MStaff200 event on June 27, 2017.
Thank you for a Wonderful Year!
University of Michigan Regents
Michael J. Behm, Grand Blanc
Mark J. Bernstein, Ann Arbor
Shauna Ryder Diggs, Grosse Pointe
Denise Ilitch, Bingham Farms
Andrea Fischer Newman, Ann Arbor
Andrew C. Richner, Grosse Pointe Park
Ron Weiser, Ann Arbor
Katherine E. White, Ann Arbor
Mark S. Schlissel, ex officio
© The Regents of the University of Michigan